Thursday, June 01, 2006

Oh, Iceland!!!


Iceland. I have learned that perfection is tangible. Sure, you pay for all the hot hot boys through overpriced alcohol, food, clothes, and well, just about everything…but let me tell you: it is SO SO SO worth it.

Before I came here, I had this image in my head of everyone seeing me and thinking I was exotic and different. Nope. In fact, shockingly, the opposite has happened. Everywhere I go, despite the fact that there are foreigners everywhere, people keep speaking to me in Icelandic and three people I befriended admitted that they thought I was a local when they first saw me. I suppose I should take it as a compliment. The local girls are fabulous. Right now, they are all wearing leopard print, big dangly earrings, 80’s retro, and fake Chanel bags. Other than the fact that my Chanel bag is real, I can totally relate to their tastes.

Also, before I came here, I expected everyone to be freakishly good-looking. This is not the case. I have only seen a select few of the typical 6-foot tall blonde model types. In fact, lots of the girls are normal height, chunky, but oh so fabulous. And the boys? Well, they are doing quite well for themselves these days in Reykjavik. The beauty is definitely here and when you see it, it is absolutely breathtaking. Last night, I went to Sirkus, the hottest spot in Reykjavik—where Bjork and the Sigur Ros boys can be spotted if you’re there on the right night. Of course, I pre-gamed in my room since I knew that a mixed drink would probably set me back close to $20 and it is not custom for boys in Scandinavia to buy drinks (and for $20 a pop, I don’t blame them). Of course, after I went out and met some people, I realized that the myth about Scandinavian boys not buying drinks was a myth. I got wasted for next to nothing. I had the good fortune to befriend the cutest boy named Ingiberg (pronounced Ink-a-Bear) at Sirkus, who works at the big Icelandic record label 12 Tonar (check them out---http://www.12tonar.is). He introduced me to the label owner and Sigur Ros' producer (who also produced most of the Queen albums)---and we all got trashed on Black Death and Viking lager. I'm at the 12 Tonar shop right now burning almost everything they have. If you haven't already, check out Singapore Sling and Hudson Wayne. They are amazing bands on the label.

So, the nightlife is funny. It was hard for me to get used to being dressed like a total slut and going out in broad daylight. Of course, this lessened the blow of this morning's Icelandic walk of shame back to my place (come on--you knew that was coming). Tonight, we are going for a traditional Icelandic dinner. I'm excited because I love bland fish dishes.

So, yesterday during the day, I discovered all the Reykjavik vintage stores which are nothing less than fabulous. Since everything was so expensive, I decided I wouldn't buy too much. Of course, I then proceeded to buy too much.

The weather has been on again/off again rain but I’m not fussed. One minute, it is sunny and bright, then it is pouring rain for 4 minutes, then it is bright and sunny again. Apparently this is normal here. I am quickly becoming used to it. The friendly vibe and surreal beauty of this city more than makes up for the spontaneous downpours. Reykjavik is now one of my favorite places on Earth. The effect it has had on me in the short period I've been here is indescribable. I'm definitely going to come back soon. Ok, so now I'm going to get out and do some sightseeing before I go get obliterated on Viking again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Counters